Design and Technology
- To follow the progression of the National Curriculum for DT through the Kapow curriculum
- To allow children to develop skills and understanding of techniques, and to put them into real life contexts.
- Give children a strong understanding of the importance of following instructions to be safe.
- For adults to make links when developing DT skills, to real life, and for children to understand the importance and relevance of these life skills.
- For children to see the bigger picture that links DT to science, technology, food, engineering, architecture, maths through teachers exploring and exploiting cross curricular links through the Big Ideas topics.
- To support children to understand the uses and implications of design and food technology, today and in the future.
- To nurture independence and encourage children to ask questions about the world they live in.
- Following the Kapow Curriculum teachers plan lessons which carefully plan for progression and depth
- Teaching and learning should plan for practical opportunities within DT themed big ideas.
- Children gain skills in safe use of tools though progressive planning of Forest school curriculum
- Additional support in place for SEN and disadvantaged pupils to enable them to access the curriculum at the appropriate level.
- Children have opportunities to reflect on previous learning, build on prior knowledge and link ideas together
- Big Ideas topics create opportunities for cross-curricular learning.
- Specialist vocabulary is taught and built upon and effective questioning to communicate ideas is encouraged.
- Children will develop skills with tools and have opportunities to put them in real life contexts
- Children will be able to question ideas, draw on experience and reflect on knowledge.
- Pupils will make links across various curriculum areas and use their knowledge and skills to enhance work in other areas and solve real life problems independently
- Children talk positively about their learning in DT.
Please click here to access our long term plan curriculum plans linked to our big ideas
Please find below the Kapow progression guide and D&T vocabulary: